In October 2016, the International Automotive Task Force (IATF) published a revised quality management system (QMS) standard specifically for the automotive industry, known as IATF 16949:2016. This new standard, which is still based upon international QMS standard ISO 9001:2015, will supersede and replace the current ISO/TS 16949:2009. It defines the requirements of a quality management system for organisations in the automotive industry.
IATF 16949 is the international quality management standard specifically intended for organizations in the automotive industry supply community. It is for organizations that produce and deliver parts, sub-assemblies, process materials, and certain other products and services to OEM manufacturing locations. IATF 16949 actually consists of ISO 9001:2015 – plus a large number of automotive industry specific requirements. . In addition, each of the Big 3 have published a set of supplemental requirements to the Standard.
Since “meeting customer needs” is one of the (many) definitions of quality, IATF 16949 is often called a “quality system” or a “quality management” system. But the rules, referred to as “requirements,” go beyond “quality” matters as they are traditionally understood. The requirements fall roughly into four types:
- Requirements that help assure that the organization’s output (whether product, service, or both) meets customer specifications. (Making customers happy, and keeping them that way.)
- Requirements that assure that the quality system is consistently implemented and verifiable. (We must actually do what we say we are supposed to do. This must be verifiable via independent, objective audit.)
- Requirements for practices that measure the effectiveness of various aspects of the system. (In God we trust; all others bring data.)
- Requirements that support continual improvement of the company’s ability to meet customer needs. (We cannot sit still. We must strive to get better all the time, because customers change, and competitors gain strength.)
The bottom line is this. IATF 16949 is a comprehensive set of rules — a business system, really — that can cause the way your organization runs to profoundly change, almost always for the better. Not just at first, but on an ongoing basis.
External benefits of an IATF 16949 quality management system?
- Satisfies the demands of current or prospective customers for registration.
- Improves customer focus. We focus controls on management of the processes that enable us to achieve and improve customer satisfaction.
- Boost international acceptance and credibility. IATF 16949 is in fact an international quality management specification. It is known, recognized, and accepted without question all over the world.
- Places you in an elite category of businesses. Registration to IATF 16949 puts your organization on the identical level of excellence shared by organizations of all kinds worldwide.
- Keeps you prepared for external audits and inspections – i.e. regulators, customers, etc.
- Facilitates continual improvement.It sounds like a cliche, but it really is true. In today’s intensely competitive global market, there is no such thing as a safe, protected market. Your competitors, out to eat your lunch, are striving to improve. You must do so too.
- Provides competitive advantage. When you’re head-to-head with a competitor for a piece of business — and you’re certified but they’re not — who’s going to get the no
Internal benefits of an IATF 16949 quality management system?
- Transforms your operation from detection mode to prevention mode. Prevention is less work and less expense than detection. With an IATF 16949 management system, you prevent product nonconformities. Prevent pollution by addressing the causes. Mitigate or eliminate hazards and risks to protect the health and safety of employees and others.
- Creates consistency throughout the organization built around “best practices”.
- Improves business performance. A well designed, well implemented IATF 16949 compliant management system can help improve satisfaction of customers and consumers; and boost internal manufacturing and operational efficiencies.
- Lessens dependency on key individuals. An IATF 16949 management system distributes responsibility and accountability across the work force. More people share more information and accountability for key quality tasks. Result: tasks or processes don’t collapse just because one person leaves or changes jobs. And each person carries his or her small share of the load.
- Provides blueprint for controlled, disciplined growth. Some organizations see IATF 16949 management systems as a way to organize the business, systematize practices, and ensure management accountability as the organization expands.
- Ensures consistent training. An IATF 16949 system is like a collection of road maps. Each road map provides direction from one end of a process to the other. New people to the process are trained using the road map. They refer to the road map while they’re learning. Their performance is tested against the road map. And once they know their process, they don’t need to refer to the road map anymore. Except when the process changes, in which case the road map changes and people are retrained to it.
- Improves management oversight. An effective IATF 16949 management system incorporates monitoring and measurement of key performance indicators in quality and customer satisfaction. This gives management objective data upon which to base decisions. The required self-auditing function is even more powerful. Internal auditing is an “early warning system” to help you spot process problems and potential customer satisfaction issues – giving you the chance to address and resolve them before they are detected by others, rather than after. And then management review, closing the loop, provides management with solid data, enabling management to make decisions based on facts and evidence.
How to achieve IATF 16949 certification – implementation / Compliance / Certification steps
APB Consultant offers a well defined and globally proven implementation methodology for IATF 16949 certification.
- Gap Analysis
- Awareness Training
- Process Identification and definition
- Documentation Design and finalization
- Internal Auditor Training and conduct of internal audit
- Management Review Meeting
- Review of Implementation
- Stage 1 – certification audit
- Stage 2 – certification audit
- Award of IATF 16949 certification
- Continual improvement of the system through value added consulting and training services
Integrate IATF 16949 – 2016 with other management system standards
IATF 16949 – 2016 is designed to be compatible with other management systems standards and specifications, such as ISO 9001, OHSAS 18001, ISO 22000, ISO 17025, ISO 27001, ISO 14001 Environment and other ISO standards. They can be integrated seamlessly through Integrated Management system approach. They share many principles so choosing an integrated management system can offer excellent value for money and an easier approach to implement, manage and improve multiple standards simultaneously.
What we offer in the field of IATF 16949 – 2016 standard and certification
The implementation usually involves streamlining and simplification of your operation to take full advantage of the benefits of the standard, as well as training on the core tools such as:
- Statistical Process Control (SPC).
- APQP/CP: Advanced Product Quality Planning and Control Plans).
- PPAP: Production Part Approval Process.
- FMEA: Failure Mode and Effects Analysis.
- MSA: Measurement Systems Analysis.
We provide unmatched expertise and technical competence to ensure that your IATF 16949 – 2015 quality management system certification project adds value to your organization.
We provide consulting, training, internal audits, pre assessment audits and facilitation during IATF 16949 – 2016 certification audit.
We offer our global knowledge moulded locally to bring in the best results for our clients and partner their journey of standardization, compliance, growth, success and continual improvements.
Contact us now, to get your organization IATF 16949 – 2016 certified in the most effective and efficient manner while realizing the true benefits of the certification using our specialized implementation methodology that is less time consuming, fast, easy to understand and implement, result oriented, time bound and cost effective. Get IATF 16949 – 2016 certified now with us…
Contact us[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
If you need assistance contact at: email@example.com